Although there are many KJV Bible app on Android Market, I believe some people will be more confortable with this app, namely the speed of displaying Bible text which I found is faster than most of the available apps. And also the (hopefully) clean user interface that minimizes distraction when reading the Bible.
So, yeah, doing this is not a small task for me. The following was done in order to release the English version of the app.
- Moving all translatable strings from the code to strings.xml (Eclipse feature to mark literal strings as error helps a lot)
- Translating the strings.xml into English
- Changing literal string references in resource files to @string/* resource references
- Converting KJV text to internal format (not .yes file, since this file is not seekable if stored inside an .apk file)
- Putting some logic to differentiate different enabled features between the Indonesian app and English app (e.g. No devotion, help, and versions yet for the English build)
- Modifying icon colors
- Moving all code base from yuku.alkitab package to yuku.alkitab.base package. This is done such that compiling resources (the R file) into different package does not severely affect import statements on the Java sources.
The result: different application from the same (similar) code base:
|English edition of the app!|
Actually I didn't get a nice idea how to name the app. If I just named it "KJV Bible", it will be similar to those other app in the market. Maybe I will emphasize the quickness of the app, so I put "Quick" prefix. If you have some suggestion for the naming, please let me know!
And finally, this is the screenshot of the English interface.
|English! No devotions, no version switch, no help yet|
By the way, this is called version 1.1 and released before the Indonesian release of 1.1 which will have more features enabled.